Welcome to the Forums!

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

News Feed Forums Whats on your easel? What’s on your easel….well nothingšŸ„“ Reply To: What’s on your easel….well nothingšŸ„“

• Connie

January 29, 2021 at 6:54 am

I know exactly where you are coming from. My last two paintings were my absolute best (at least I think so). They were approached with the attitude that it would be challenging but doable. There was no doubt, no fear, and I just painted.

After they were finished and the goal accomplished, my mind switched gears asking, “What next? How am I ever going to achieve something like this again?” Nothing seemed to pique my interest. Nothing inspired me. I felt empty. Though not inspired, I felt hungry to create something, anything, but wanted my next painting to be even better than the ones before.

This created too much pressure on myself. Yes, I need to paint. Yes, I need something challenging. Yes, I want to continue to learn and grow as an artist. On and on until I had the realization of “paralysis by analysis.”

I heard an artistā€™s advice once to not wait until you are inspired to create your artwork. You may never create anything again for months or even years. Just begin, and let the work itself inspire you.

I now know it is okay to regroup and allow myself time to find my next subject. I look at websites that offer royalty-free reference photos and just look at internet images of still life paintings and masterā€™s works. It took just a short period of time once I gave myself permission to relax until I found my next project. Once that was found, it hit me right between the eyes and struck me like flint, the spark igniting within me to just paint.